July 5 to Sept 6th (9 weeks), 30 hrs. per week @ $25/hr.
The Crescent Heights Community Association (CHCA) is looking for a post-secondary student or graduate who is passionate about community development, connecting people, event coordination, and has excellent communications, leadership, and organizational skills. This is part of the Canada Summer Jobs program – you must be 30 years old or younger and be legally entitled to work in Canada. International students are not eligible.
Crescent Heights is a diverse community with 25% of residents identifying as immigrants to Canada. We have a strong Chinese Canadian community, and we will prioritize candidates who are fluent in English and one additional language with a preference for Mandarin and/or Cantonese. We encourage applications from candidates who identify as part of racialized, Indigenous, and/or 2SLGBTQ+ communities.
The Community Engagement Associate will support us with the following initiatives:
COMMUNITY ACTION TEAM (CAT): Attend and take notes for the Community Action Team (CAT) meetings (once per month); Support with community projects that are initiated by CAT; Support team in creative brainstorming and implementation.
EVENT SUPPORT: Work with various committees or leads to plan and coordinate events (pending Covid restrictions) and projects including: outdoor concerts, drive-in movie, Art in the Park, placemaking projects, and murals; Lead/organize a Trunk Show event (people selling, exhibiting or performing out of the trunk of their car); Attend events to help coordinate, lead volunteers, and engage with residents as the “face” of the CHCA; and Initiate a community-based project or event of your choice.
MEMBERSHIP DRIVE: Work with the Engagement Director to develop a membership growth strategy; Lead/Organize a membership drive which will entail going door-to-door or engaging with people in the community face-to-face as well as digitally.
COMMUNICATIONS ASSISTANCE: Develop social media content for Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter related to events, membership drive, etc., Write articles for the newsletter about events/projects you have organized; summary report including photos of projects and events, and update community asset map.
NEIGHBOURHOOD CONNECTOR PROGRAM: Under the direction of the Neighbourhood Connector, the Community Engagement Associate will help in various ways with engaging the residents with the program. This could entail meeting face-to-face or over Zoom conferences as well as assisting with administrative tasks.
HUMAN RESOURCES: Under the direction of the President and the Engagement Director the Community Engagement Associate will assist with volunteer recruitment, onboarding, and the associated administrative work such as maintaining volunteer records.
SKILLS, STRENGTHS, AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Post-Secondary education (current or graduated) – ideal for people in the following fields: Visual Arts, Performance, Marketing and Communication, Festival and Event Planning, Social Work, Community Development, Arts & Cultural Development, or Human Resources.
- Self-starter and can work independently.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekend.
- Combination for remote and on-site work (outdoors).
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills in English and an additional language with a preference for Mandarin or Cantonese.
- Friendly and outgoing in interactions with the public and comfortable speaking with strangers through grass-roots community activation methods.
- Excellent Digital skills: experience with social media and Zoom.
- Interest and/or experience with community development and engagement.
- Experience with event planning and implementation.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Organizational skills.
Please submit a cover letter and resume (in ONE PDF file please) to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 13, 2021.